Friday 29 July 2016

What? Why? Who? How?

Let’s take it back to the start.
 What is Beyond the Big Bang? This blog started as a part of my dissertation as my public dissemination piece which is a form of information that explained my dissertation question to members of the public which are not an expert in the field I was exploring. As I was forming the blog I got friends to overview it and make sure there were no mistakes and as I got feedback I realised that most people who are no longer studying science are still interested in learning about it.
Why make a science blog? From the age of 16 you are made to slim down your education to focus more on a select subject. For most people this meant the end of science education and although at the time most people are excited by the prospect of no more chemical reactions or biological field studies, as they have gotten older they miss learning more about how the world works. So I have decided to carry on this blog to explain in more depth some of the everyday science around us.
How are you going to explain everything? In my further education I have studied in depth chemistry and areas of biology, so don’t expect anything detailed about physics or engineering as those things are still a mystery to me! But I do plan to try and explain more of the everyday scientific terms that are thrown at us in advertising, literature, movies etc.  I will be doing my research alongside to make sure everything that is presented is correct and that there are no fibs being told.
Who are you? Let’s be honest, at this stage no one really cares who I am but expel the basics. I am a 22-year-old student living in London who has just graduated from their undergraduate degree in pharmaceutical chemistry and is going on to a masters in biopharmaceuticals. So I ain’t know David Attenborough with years of knowledge behind them but I am a young adult who has scientific jargon thrown at them daily and is curious to what it all actually means! For explain what actually is gluten? What makes smart water smart? Why are there antioxidants in my foundation? How does purple shampoo make blonde hair more blonde?
So if science doesn’t interest you at all then thank you for reading this far but if you do have a curious mind to how this wacky world works then stay tuned. The overall goal for this blog is to make science understandable for everyone from every walk of life.

Now let’s get this nerd party started…

No comments:

Post a Comment